Job Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Production Manager
Classification: Part Time/IATSE Union Position
Plans, executes, and/or supervises all of the Jungle Theater’s scenery and rigging functions and works closely with the paint, lighting, and sound departments to implement all design elements in an efficient manner. Works with the Production Manager to determine the feasibility of current and future production options and to develop and control departmental expense budgets. The Technical Director consults with designers, stage directors, and Production Manager prior to construction to ensure that construction projects are accomplished within budget.
Roughly 160 Hours per show/800 hours total per year. Hours distribution to be worked out with Production Manager per agreement with IATSE/Local 13.
$25.17/hr. Pay rate is set by an agreement between the Jungle Theater and IATSE/Local 13.
- Supervises construction of all scenery for new company productions and of modifications to existing productions.
- Working with the production and design teams to determine the materials and methods for construction.
- Responsibility for safety of all audience, cast, and crews throughout all phases of scenery construction, installation, and use
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of theater production facilities including production storage spaces, scene shop area, Lobby and marquis.
- Perform minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment as needed, or arranges for (with approval of Production Manager) repair/maintenance as needed
- Maintain inventory of necessary supplies and keep shop supplies stocked (pending budget approval from Production Manager)
- Prepares ground plans, sections, and other technical details with other production team members.
- Assists guest designers and directors with technical matters/information regarding technical capabilities of the theater.
- Advises production manager, lighting, and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Create working drawings from scenic designs (and prop designs as needed)
- Create projected labor and non-labor budget per show/event in conjunction with Production Manager
- Work with the Charge Artist and Master Electrician to create a plan for the order of project completion for most efficient use of stage time for all departments.
- Oversee labor hours for all scenic production staff (carpenters, riggers, painters) and approve timesheets for all technical labor hours; report all overages and anticipated overages to Production Manager ASAP
- Provide receipts with expense explanations to the Production Manager (cost overruns must be pre-approved by the Production Manager)
- Plan, supervise and assists with set and stage construction and management as well as strike/load-out.
- Oversee and or execute the hiring of all build, tech, and strike production crews (with the exception of Costume/Wardrobe staff)
- In conjunction with Production Manager, schedule and hire all labor needed for technical maintenance during the run
- Work with the Production Manager, Charge Painter, and Master Electrician to create a schedule for stage use during build periods
- Assess materials needs for scenic construction for each show
- Shop for materials, place orders with materials vendors, facilitate deliveries of materials
- Oversees storage of Company production scenery and properties
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to the safety and technical characteristics and other areas of theater operations; facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility including events that are not part of the ongoing season (ie Gala, Jazz at the Jungle, or others as directed by the Production Manager).
- Monitors the condition of equipment and tools; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Assists with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies.
- Attends technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the mounting the show. (as needed/required based on assessment with Production Manager and Stage Manager)
- Makes recommendations to Production Manager and Managing Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, co-workers and others as required.
- Ensures open communication between all departments (technical, administration, production, or others as required) regarding all shows and events in the theater.
- Attendance at production meetings is required.
- Technical Director must follow procedures and policies of the Jungle Theater as outlined in employee manual.
- Supervises all scenic construction laborers including carpenters, riggers, and painters.
- Send cover letter, resume, and references to Matt Earley (Production Manager) at email@example.com.
- Deadline to apply is March 15, 2019.